Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ciclovia

Every place I have lived in Lexington has been walking distance from my work and at most a miles walk. My recent move has taken me a mile further, totaling my distance from work to 2 miles. Given my record of morning punctuality, I cannot walk this distance and have taken up to biking to and from work. I. LOVE. IT. 

My Trusty Steed


I got my bike from a friend of mine, it's an old girls bike that doesn't have any gears and comes with it's fair share of quirks, but I've bonded with it quickly. I love riding it almost everywhere.

Not only is biking healthy, but its fun, sustainable, and just makes me feel better all around. Not to mention it is in my blood, being Dutch and all. I have committed to Clif Bar's 2 Mile Challenge and have really gotten into it, logging my rides, taking different routes, even biking to the grocery store.

     

BIKING FACTS
  • 40% of U.S. trips are 2 miles or less
  • 90% of those trips are by car
  • 12 bicycles can be parked in the same space as 1 car




It's not all fun and games though. You have to be smart, conscious, and aware of everything going on around you. I have been laughed at numerous times, had names shouted at me, honked at, run off the shoulder by bus drivers, the list can go for pages. But I have enjoyed it and really miss it on the days that I cannot bike (because of work).

My Evening Commute


If you have a bike and live less than 2 miles from your destination, I challenge you to bike. It may be tough the first time of two, but it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment