Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Restlessness

Since my trip to the Netherlands, I have been thinking about where I am at in life a lot. Life in the Netherlands is so much different than it is here in Kentucky; to me it may even be a bit glorified. Being in the development realm and having a passion for Urban Planning, I think about densities and transportation a lot, so naturally any European country would be superior to the American South. But my mind wanders about lot more since this past trip. 


(Dutch and European Union Flag)


I find myself thinking about the sense of culture, the attitudes of the Dutch (be it cultural acceptance, daily customs, etc), and even the food supply. The Dutch are for the most part, very laid-back and lackadaisical about being different. Women/men, black/white, gay/straight, whatever it is, people are people; each one an individual. It's very refreshing to be there and having people exist alongside each other rather than judge or isolate. Even something as simple as daily tea makes me feel that life is simpler there. That being said, I realize every culture and practice has some issues that come along with it. I was on vacation there, but it is still a large part of my upbringing and who I am, so it is very intriguing to me.

Aside from romanticizing about the Netherlands and Dutch culture, I have felt a little restless here at home in Kentucky. I rarely sit still and have spent a weekend in the Red River Gorge and one in Louisville, but still feel a little restless. The feeling is similar to that of being stuck but not completely. I have a lot of freedom in my life; being a bachelor, having a nice apartment, a robust career in my early-twenties, and the privilege to travel about the world but I also feel like I am limited in my opportunities here in Kentucky.


I have talked with a few close friends that apparently feel very similar and I wonder if it may just be a part of life for people in their early- to mid-twenties. I know one thing is that I feel like I want more. Not more in terms of materials, but more opportunities. The problem I am having is identifying those opportunities. Better entertainment? A more ambitious job? More adventure? More education? More time with family? Whatever it is, I know I am not going to figure out anytime soon. It is something that I am going to have to reflect on, test out, and feel through. 


In the meantime, the dynamic adventure of life continues on. I am heading to California for a conference for work next week and have taken some extra time off to explore. I will be sure to share tons of pictures. 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the quarter-life crisis. Hang in there, bro...it'll be a journey. I think everyone faces it but you'll get through!

    ReplyDelete